Hesperian books have been used by Peace Corps volunteers to improve health in their host communities for decades. Rulester Davis served in Kenya as a Senior Nutritionist/Research Specialist, where Hesperian’s Where There Is No Doctor helped her in an unexpected way. She submitted her story to the 2016 Peace Corps Storytelling Contest and performed it live:
“I served in Kenya from 1979-1982, and I delivered a baby boy in the back seat of a jeep, using Where There Is No Doctor. It is the best tool a Peace Corps Volunteer could ever have, for those that live or serve upcountry. Please, please continue to train with it, because I know it works.”
— Rulester Davis, PCV Kenya, 1979-1982
Read more stories from other RPCVs:
Share your story, too
Other ways to get involved
- Donate to our Gratis Book Program to help us send books to those who need them.
- Double Your Gift by asking your HR department if your company offers an employee matching program.
- Purchase books for your host community.
- Share our digital materials with community leaders and health educators.
- Connect host communities to the Gratis Book Program so they can receive free health materials
- Follow us on Facebook and share our posts.
Thank you for being an integral part of Hesperian’s life and growth as an organization. We look forward to many more years of partnership with the Peace Corps!